What is the People's Book Prize?
What are The People’s Book Prize aims?
- finding, supporting and promoting new and undiscovered works of literature
- help to eradicate illiteracy
Why was The People’s Book Prize created?
- to give authors a better chance of being read
- to create a unique space where publishers can showcase their authors’ work
- to offer marketing, sales and social media support to publishers and their authors
- to give the public the opportunity to choose the next Bestsellers and discover new talent
- to encourage community interaction and take an active role
- to celebrate reading
- to get people reading – everybody can take part
Has The People’s Book Prize a Constitution?
- To champion new and undiscovered literary works.
- To secure a transparent democratic process
- To empower the public to vote with confidence for the next bestsellers
- To engage the community
- To raise the profile of publishers, libraries and writers
- To form an alliance with retailers to sell and distribute winners’ books.
- To support literacy
- To foster a love of reading
- To inspire the next generation of best untapped writing talent
- To eradicate illiteracy
How are the books chosen?
Can authors submit their books?
How does it work?
Summer: from 1 June 2018 to 15 October 2018
Winter: 1 November 2018 to 15 March 2019
How many categories are in each collection?
How do people vote?
You can vote: for 3 different books in each of the 3 categories: Fiction, Non Fiction, Children’s: Click on the category and browse through the titles showcased BUT only ONCE for the book of your choice from the dedicated page of that title — otherwise our system will reject it.
You do not need to register or login.
How many books can people vote for?
You can vote for 9 different books:
3 books from Fiction, 3 from Non-fiction and 3 from Children’s (9 books in total)
For the Finalists to choose the overall Winners: From the special Finalists Voting pages:
You can vote for 3 different books in each category (9 books in total)
Top six books x 3 categories x 2 collections = 36 finalists.
How are the winners chosen?
The People’s Book Prize have no judges. YOU are the Jury!
How many times can I vote for a book?
How are votes registered?
How many Awards?
The People’s Book Prize for Fiction | Non-Fiction | Children’s Literature (voted for exclusively by the public)
The Beryl Bainbridge Award for a First Time Author (from the 36 finalists – voted for exclusively by the public -discretionary )
The People’s Book Prize Special Achievement Award (from the 36 finalists – voted for exclusively by the public – discretionary)
The People’s Book Prize Best Publisher Award – chosen from the publishers featured in the 2 collections.
Why is The People’s Book Prize unique?
In the words of our Founding Patron, Dame Beryl Bainbridge DBE: “…this idea – which is absolutely amazing – will be of enormous importance to writers. I look forward to the time when we mention this particular prize as the greatest…”
The 2017/2018 Award Winners:
The 6 winners will be announced at the prestigious black tie Awards Ceremony at the historic Stationers’ Hall on
8th May 2019 6.30 pm. – 10 pm.
SKY NEWS/THE PEOPLE’S BOOK PRIZE 6TH AWARDS EVENT CEREMONY
THE 7TH AWARDS CEREMONY:
12th July 2016 SKY NEWS
Short Winners only: SKY NEWS/THE PEOPLE’S BOOK PRIZE