What is the People's Book Prize?
What are The People’s Book Prize aims?
- finding, supporting and promoting new and undiscovered works of literature
- help to eradicate illiteracy
Why was The People’s Book Prize created?
- to give authors a better chance of being read
- to create a unique space where publishers can showcase their authors’ work
- to offer marketing, sales and social media support to publishers and their authors
- to give the public the opportunity to choose the next Bestsellers and discover new talent
- to encourage community interaction and take an active role
- to celebrate reading
- to get people reading – everybody can take part
Has The People’s Book Prize a Constitution?
- To champion new and undiscovered literary works.
- To secure a transparent democratic process
- To empower the public to vote with confidence for the next bestsellers
- To engage the community
- To raise the profile of publishers, libraries and writers
- To form an alliance with retailers to sell and distribute winners’ books.
- To support literacy
- To foster a love of reading
- To inspire the next generation of best untapped writing talent
- To eradicate illiteracy
How are the books chosen?
Can authors submit their books?
How does it work?
The People’s Book Prize showcase entries in 2 collections x year.
Summer: from 1 July 2019 to 15 October 2019
Winter: 1 November 2019 to 15 February 2020
How many categories are in each collection?
How do people vote?
You can vote: for 3 different books in each of the 3 categories: Fiction, Non Fiction, Children’s: Click on the category and browse through the titles showcased BUT only ONCE for the book of your choice from the dedicated page of that title — otherwise our system will reject it.
You do not need to register or login.
How many books can people vote for?
One vote per book:
For the Entries showcased in a Collection:
You can vote for 9 different books:
3 books from Fiction, 3 from Non-fiction and 3 from Children’s (9 books in total)
For the Finalists to choose the overall Winners: From the special Finalists Voting pages:
You can vote for 3 different books in each category (9 books in total)
Top six books x 3 categories x 2 collections = 36 finalists.
Someone who voted first time round (for the entries) is allowed to vote for the same book again if it becomes a Finalist.
How are the winners chosen?
Members of the public vote for their favourite books on www.peoplesbookprize.com The votes received by the 36 finalists are carried forward and the public vote again from 1-30 April 2020.
Someone who voted first time round (for the entries) is allowed to vote for the same book again.
Winners are announced at the Awards Ceremony. (See below)
The People’s Book Prize have no judges. YOU are the Jury!
How many times can I vote for a book?
You cannot vote for the same book twice as an Entry or as a Finalist– it will be rejected.
But people can vote for the same book as and Entry (first round) and then as a Finalist (second round) to determine the overall winners.
How are votes registered?
How many Awards?
The People’s Book Prize for Fiction | Non-Fiction | Children’s Literature (voted for exclusively by the public)
The Beryl Bainbridge Award for a First Time Author (from the 36 finalists – voted for exclusively by the public -discretionary )
The People’s Book Prize Special Achievement Award (from the 36 finalists – voted for exclusively by the public – discretionary)
The People’s Book Prize Best Publisher Award – chosen from the publishers featured in the 2 collections.
Why is The People’s Book Prize unique?
In the words of our Founding Patron, Dame Beryl Bainbridge DBE: “…this idea – which is absolutely amazing – will be of enormous importance to writers. I look forward to the time when we mention this particular prize as the greatest…”
The 2019/2020 Ceremony:
The 6 winners will be announced at the prestigious black tie Awards Ceremony at the historic Stationers’ Hall
on May 2020 – exact date to be announced
The 2018/2019 Ceremony:
The 6 winners were announced at the prestigious black tie Awards Ceremony at the historic Stationers’ Hall on 8th May 2019 -
The 2016/2017 Ceremony:
SKY NEWS/THE PEOPLE’S BOOK PRIZE AWARDS EVENT CEREMONY
The 2015/2016 Ceremony
12th July 2016 SKY NEWS
Short Winners only: SKY NEWS/THE PEOPLE’S BOOK PRIZE